Cauliflower seems to be the vegetable du jour and it’s easy to see why. You can whizz it up and turn it into rice, you can mash it, you can steam it and you can roast it, which is my current favourite way to enjoy this versatile vegetable.
When Sainsbury’s got in touch asking me about my favourite summer salad, there was no contest. My roasted cauliflower, aubergine and chick pea salad, dressed with tahini and lemon, brings a hint of the Middle East to my plate. So even if the rain is pounding the windows in Edinburgh, I can bring the warmth of summer to my kitchen with this delicious salad. Fancy giving it a try? Here’s everything you need to make two servings:
- 1 whole cauliflower, cut into small florets
- Half an aubergine, chopped into bitesize pieces
- Half a 400g tin of chickpeas
- 200g of rocket
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tsps of cumin
- A pinch of chill flakes
- 1 tbsp of tahini
- ½ a tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat your oven to 200c. Add the cauliflower, aubergine and chick peas to a large roasting tin. Drizzle over one tablespoon of olive oil before sprinkling the cumin and chilli flakes over the vegetables. Toss to make sure everything is coated thoroughly and roast for 20 mins, uncovered.
2. Meanwhile, make the dressing. To a bowl add the tahini, olive oil and lemon juice. Whisk until you have a smooth dressing. Taste and season as required.
3. When the vegetables are cooked, remove from the oven. Pour over the dressing and then taste to check for seasoning. Once you are happy, add 100g of rocket to each plate and top with your freshly roasted vegetables.
I adore this salad and it’s become my new go-to meal after a long day at work. It’s so easy to whip up, it’s healthy and it’s delicious. I enjoy this dish as it is, but if you would like to add some meat, grilled chicken works well.
What’s your favourite summer salad? Let me know your suggestions so that I can give them a try.2 likes