I’m just a little bit obsessed with French cinema. Scratch that, I’m a little bit obsessed with all things French. Food, wine, music, fashion … j’adore la France. With my feet firmly ground in Edinburgh, I need to get my French fix wherever I can find it, and films is one of the easiest ways for me to indulge.
I turn watching a French film into an event in my house with either wine and cheese or macarons and café au laits. I think you’re getting the picture, so I’ll get to the point and share my five favourite French films with you.
1. Priceless – A brilliant romantic comedy from start to finish that sees bartender Jean in hot pursuit of Irene, as she searches for a life that involves all of the riches a wealthy husband would bring. It’s stylish, romantic and stars Audrey Tautou. Enough said.
2. Little White Lies – I’m a huge fan of Marion Cotillard and she is fantastic in this tale of a group of friends who must come to terms with how a set of circumstances develops during their annual summer holiday. If you manage to stop yourself from welling up at the end, you’re a better person than I am.
3. Tell No One – I could not stop raving about this film the first time I saw it. To say it’s gripping doesn’t do it justice. The plot line revolves around a grieving husband who years after his wife dies, is sent a video of her captured on CCTV just moments before he watches the film. Like I said, this film grabs you from the get-go.
4. Heartbreakers – Another romantic comedy, Romain Duris takes the lead in this film where he plays a professional heartbreaker. In other words, people pay him to intervene and end relationships, which he does by making women fall in love with him. It’s hilarious.
5. Two Days in Paris – This film is quirky to say the least and tends to divide opinion amongst my friends, but I love it nonetheless. It follows the Parisienne Julie as she takes her American boyfriend to meet her French family, where chaos ensues across two days spent in the French capital.
Do you have any other French films I should add to my list?1 like