I really do love chocolate. White or dark, cake or biscuit, if there’s a choice, I will always pick the chocolate one. So when Sainsbury’s set me a challenge to make something with leftover chocolate for their Christmas campaign, I was brimming with ideas and the cake you see in these pictures won out.
This chocolate and hazelnut cake is a traditional Italian recipe. It’s not a moist and gooey sort of chocolate cake, it’s got a much nuttier consistency and we all know how well chocolate and hazelnuts go together. I will warn you in advance, if you do make this cake, if you’re anything like this I’m pretty sure you’ll find it impossible to have just one slice.
To make this cake you’ll need:
- 200g of plain flour
- 250g of icing sugar, plus a little extra for dusting
- 200g of softened unsalted butter
- 150g chopped hazelnuts
- 150g dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 35g of cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp of Nutella
- 5 free range eggs, separated
2. In a large bowl, cream the sugar and butter and then add one egg yolk at a time, and beat the mixture well after the addition of each yolk.
3. Add the flour, cocoa powder, chocolate, hazelnuts and Nutella to the sugar, butter and egg yolk mixture. Combine until all the ingredients are mixed together.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Now, fold the egg whites into the rest of the cake mixture. Once combined, pour into the cake tin and bake for 40 minutes.
Allow the cake to cool in the tin for five minutes before turning out and cooling on a wire rack. Finally, once the cake has cooled completely, dust with icing sugar before serving.
You can serve this cake on its own, with a side of cream or some fruit coulis. However you choose to serve it, it’s guaranteed to taste delicious.
What’s your favourite kind of chocolate cake?0 likes